Lovestorread

Lovestorread

Devil's Embrace

Devil's Embrace - Catherine Coulter I'm torn about this book. On one hand I loved it and another I took great issue with it. I am not a fan of rape. Pure and simple that is what the "hero" Anthony Welles,Earl of Clare does to get and keep the woman he says he loves. He was in love with her mother and followed her growing up and at some point fell for her. As she is about to marry he decides he will have her and nobody else. He kidnaps her onto his ship and takes her innocence so that she is forced to be his wife. He has land and titles in Italy as well as England so he takes her there. Our heroine, Cassie is not so easily swayed. She has been in love with her soldier most of her life and doesn't want Anthony. By the end of the book there is a HEA for Cassie and Anthony but it took me awhile to deal with the way the hero handles the scene with taking Cassie against her will. It was a great story. I am sure it was like real life in those days. Men took what they wanted. Anthony's actions however cause terrible actions of others that put Cassie's life and sanity on the line. The story spans from Englands shores to pirates, Italy, America and back to England. Will keep your interest.